Molasses is an extremely nutritious by-product of the sugar refining process. Both Blackstrap Molasses and Sweet Molasses are extremely rich sources of minerals and vitamins. From a nutritional point of view, crude or black-strap molasses, which
is only mildly sweet and not too palatable, is preferable to sweet
molasses. Those nutrients that are unharmed by heat are 30 times more concentrated in molasses than in the original cane juice.
Molasses contains B Vitamins, Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Pantothenic Acid, Inositol and Vitamin E. Properties:
1. One tablespoon of Molasses contains more calcium than a glass of milk (+/- 100 milligrams)
2. One tablespoon of Molasses contains more iron than nine eggs (+/- 3 milligrams)
3. Blackstrap molasses contains more potassium than any food
4. Molasses contains an excellent supply of B Vitamins
5. It is a good source of natural sugars.
6. It is an alkali-forming food, beneficial for maintaining a proper acid-alkali balance in the body.
7. Molasses is also rich in phosphoric acid. If this and potassium are deficient, a general breakdown of the cells, especially of the nerves and brain, can occur.
8. Molasses is also rich in copper, magnesium, chromium, manganese, molybdenum, zinc, phosphorous, Pantothenic acid, vitamin E and Inositol. Refined sugar contains none of these nutrients. Suggestion:
The benefits of molasses can be greatly increased by combining it with other foods that are rich in B Vitamins such as brewer’s yeast and wheat germ.
If informed nutritionists had their way, a jar of sweet molasses would stand on every table, to be used as a spread or sweetener.1.Energy Drink:
Dissolve 1 tablespoon Sweet Molasses in 1 cup lukewarm water or milk; children should use half this amount. 2.Spread
: Mix together equal parts molasses and natural honey. 3.Baking:
Molasses can be used as an ingredient in cakes, pies and cookies to improve their nutritional value. 4.To Relieve Mild Constipation:
Take two teaspoons at bedtime. 5.Nerve Tonic:
Blend together 1 cup fresh milk, 1 Tbsp seedless raisins and 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses. 6.Night Cap:
Blend together 1 cup warm milk, 1 tsp honey, 2 tsp molasses, 1 tsp brewer’s yeast. Sip slowly just before bed time. Nutrional Info
Blackstrap per 100g
Calories 209.5 Kcal
In general the recommended daily dosage is 1 tablespoon dissolved in warm water or taken as is.Cautions:
- Molasses should not be thought of as an all-purpose cure but as a useful weapon in the healing armory. Like sugar, molasses can cause tooth decay, so either clean your teeth or rinse your mouth thoroughly after use, especially if you take it straight from a spoon.
- Diabetics should not use molasses.